A manifesto for groups around the world seeking urgent action on climate breakdown and other threats. The UK has declared a ‘climate emergency’ and pledged to become carbon neutral by 2050. So how do we get there? Drawing on actions, policies and technologies already emerging around the world, emerging energy technologies expert Chris Goodall sets out the ways to achieve this. Proposals include:
• Building a huge over-capacity of wind and solar energy, storing the excess as hydrogen.
• Using hydrogen to fuel our trains, shipping, boilers and heavy industry, while electrifying buses, trucks and cars.
• Farming and eating differently, encouraging plant-based alternatives to meat.
• Paying farmers to plant and maintain woodlands.
• Making fashion sustainable and aviation pay its way; funding synthetic fuels and genuine offsets.
• Using technical solutions to capture CO2 from the air, and biochar to lock carbon in the soil.
To order this book from Hive online bookshop, click here.