At Writers Rebel, a diverse mix of writers offer their personal reflections on all aspects of the extraordinary, challenging times in which we live. We publish work by up-and-coming writers alongside pieces by more established authors.
We feature prose and poetry on a range of topics relevant to Extinction Rebellion, such as the climate and ecological emergency; activism; regenerative futures; life in the anthropocene; deep adaptation; organising across race and class spectrums, etc.
The content that we’ve already published will give you an idea of what we’re looking for.
- We don’t generally focus on fiction but we’re prepared to be dazzled and make an exception!
- We publish the occasional “long read” but we’re mostly looking for articles of 1000 words or fewer.
- We don’t publish unsolicited articles that have already been published elsewhere.
We encourage submissions from a diversity of perspectives. We are actively looking to platform marginalised voices, activists in the Global South, and those on the frontlines of environmental struggles.
If you’d like the editorial team to consider your work, please email us at email@example.com with the following:
- An original piece or excerpt from an original piece that you are offering exclusively to Writers Rebel; or a pitch for a piece that you would like to write for us.
- A brief biography or a paragraph telling us about yourself.
- Details of anything you’ve had published before and a link to your website or previous work (if available).
We will aim to get back to you within a week, though it may take two weeks (we’re a small team).
Please note that we only publish two to three pieces per week, as decided by our editorial board.
Writers Rebel occasionally shares submissions with the XR Creative Hub for publication on their site, if we think it might be a more suitable platform. If you would prefer us not to do this, please let us know when you submit your piece.
If we decide to publish your work, we’ll ask for a photo of you for publication. You may also submit 1-3 additional photos to accompany your work. Please make sure you have permission from the photographer and let us know who to credit.
Please read the following guidelines carefully before submitting your work:
- The work must align with and reflect the principles and values of Extinction Rebellion, and be on a topic relevant to Extinction Rebellion.
- The work should be submitted as an email attachment in MS Word.
- We will copy edit your work if necessary (minor tweaks for grammar, typos and sense) but will consult with you if more major edits are required.
- The work must be your own original work; if a collaboration then all authors must be named.
- Submissions by authors under 18 years of age must be authorised by a parent or legal guardian.
- The author will retain all copyright, but by submitting to this publication, you agree that Extinction Rebellion can distribute the work for the use of Extinction Rebellion members and for promotion purposes; the author/s will be acknowledged in all cases.
- The author/s agree to allow the use of their submitted work by Extinction Rebellion at no cost and for no renumeration in kind.
- Submissions may be published elsewhere.